- to educate the public about bees and beekeeping, and- to provide beekeeping advice and practical training to current and prospective beekeepers.
Meetings are held on the last Thursday of every month (except December). The VAA Melbourne Section meets at the "Church of Christ Hall", corner of Cherry Rd and Whitehorse Rd, Balwyn 3103, Melway 46-D8 (tram route 109), enter from Cherry Rd.
- Meetings start at 7:30 pm with “Beginners’ Corner”. This provides practical beekeeping advice and demonstrations, particularly to new beekeepers.
- The meeting proper starts at 8:15 and concludes at 9:45
Regular agenda items include presentations about beekeeping, discussion of current beekeeping issues, reports from Collingwood Children’s Farm apiary, questions, comments and ideas from members, and the advertising of other beekeeping events. Annually a photographic competition, a hive products competition, and an auction are held.
- Basic beekeeping equipment is for sale and books and multimedia can be borrowed from the VAA Library.
- Supper is available throughout the meeting.
Entrance to the meeting is free for VAA members and $5 for non-members.Please note that these entrance fees will continue until our meeting in April after which they will be reviewed by the VAA Melbourne’s committee of management at its May meeting.